Monday, April 11, 2011

Gbagbo Arrested!



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12985617

Check out that article. It's got a good summary of what led up to this crisis.

At noon I met up with the Khorogo gals: Heidi, Naomi, CJ, Alyssa, and Holly at a local restaurant in the grande marché. We enjoyed some great food: Chwarmas and a cheeseburger (I'm stoked I found burgers in town), and some awesome Moroccan tea which was on the house. The owner (who is from Morocco) was so happy 6 white people were in his shop! He asked for pictures with us, which we accepted happily. Soon after we had paid, we heard shouting on the street, and saw people dancing! The news had officially hit the streets of Korhogo: Laurent Gbagbo has been arrested in Abidjan! He was captured by Ivorian troops, which is hugely important, and is being held at the Gulf Hotel where Ouattara is staying. Finally Côte d'Ivoire can move on to the next chapter, towards reconciliation! It was so fun, and such a rare thing for most people I'd imagine, to witness the scene in the market while everyone was celebrating!

So that's the beginning of the end to the violence! Let's be praying for peace to reign in the country soon, for people to be brought to justice, and for reconciliation. Politicians are always inciting hatred between ethnic groups in Africa, and this crisis is a direct result of that sort of manipulation. It's a wicked way to cling onto power, but sadly all too common. Anyways, today is a day to celebrate.
Dancing in the streets
More dancing
In the restaurant right before the big news
And then right after we heard...



Last blog I believe I mentioned that I would include photos of the people in my life here in Korhogo, so here are a few of those! I have over 20 people living just at my house right now, so I can't get them all up in one post, but I'll include a few each blog.

Here is a couple of my youngest brothers: Emmanuel and (one who I'll name later)
The evil dog: Boobie
The sweet fun dog: Shigata
The oldest brother, who is 26: Zachary
My sister Eliza and I
My brothers: Adama and Jonas
This is Martine, we have a lot of fun together
The rugrats:Samuel, Umbuhlay, and Emmanuel. They are always getting into mischief lol
Leah, my 13 year old sister
My older sister Eliza (both Eliza's are 19)

Well, thats a good chunk of my family :) Not everyone is related by blood, everyone represents about 4 sets of parents - but that doesn't matter. In Africa, if you live under the same roof blood relation is a non-issue, you are family. I'm even considered a permanent part of the family, and I image I'll always be in touch with them after I've left.


1 comment:

  1. That's great Jason!! And how wonderful for you to get to see the celebrations in the streets! God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments!