Monday, May 23, 2011

Bouaké, Brownies, Beads, and Amoebas

So this last week, there has been a short-term team visiting from Cedarville University, they are on a "vision trip". We picked them up in Ouagougou, and then hung out with them in Bouaké for a week during our seminars there. The week in Bouaké was great - I did a "birthday egg hunt" on my birthday, in which the girls had hidden 27 plastic eggs filled with encouraging notes and poems and paintings and candy. We also had funfetti brownies for dessert after dinner! Friday night we had a big bonfire and I had a really great talk with Stephanie about some things I think we both needed to get off our chests.
Anyways, we had a lot of fun hanging out, and were pleased to bring the CVers (cedarvillers) to our families in Korhogo! Two guys, Jake and Spencer, stayed with me Saturday through Wednesday. I'm afraid that they didn't "take in" as much as they "let out" Sunday and Monday since they had amoebas from something they ate in Burkina Faso. One of the girls on the team had it too. Fortunately the medicine I gave them helped and on Tuesday they were able to experience a bit of what my life is like here in Korhogo. The six CVers and us five Journeyers went together yesterday to the weavers village to see how they make hand-made clothing, beaded jewelry, and bags. This morning we said bye to the Cedarville team as they were leaving for their last week in Bouaké, and I'm getting back into the swing of things here. Had a great lunch with my host dad and his best friend today, which was a really fun time talking with them about soccer, Jesus, Bin Laden, basically everything! Thank you Jesus for helping me to understand French more and more! He is so gracious and good to us, and this is just one small way that I can see his hand at work in my life.

Have a great rest of the week friends! Here's a few pictures from the week:

This is a guy hand-weaving a shirt at the weavers village.

Redneck pic of the year: Me in a sleevless shirt with an unkept beard holding a pigeon I just caught bare-handed. I'm eating it tonight.

From left: Spencer, Adama, and Jake

Kate, Naomi, and their taxi driver looking very safe and happy!

Jammin at "repitition" aka worship practice Saturday

CV and JC together (from left): Liz, Spencer, Jake, CJ, Me, Chelsea

The first Senefo bible, in Tymbara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me comments!