Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Married in NioFoin!

Hey!

Well this last week an event took place that I (and my whole family) have been joyfully anticipating for a couple of months now….my brother Zachary’s wedding! Yeah I said a couple of months, because he proposed in late July, and they were married October 1st. Pretty long engagement eh?

On Friday we all headed out to Niofoin to get everything prepared. I went in the morning, accompanied by my church buddy, CJ! It was definitely nice to have a close friend around with whom I could converse in my own language! We spent the day pretty much attached at the hip as we helped my family get things ready. Finding somewhere to sleep at night was a fun game, and after getting moved around several times, I finally settled down on a couch at a friend-of-the-family’s house (the 3th house I’d been relocated to).

(Working hard or hardly working? Making sauce sumbara)

(With Joel the carpenter and his son, Michael. Hadn't seen them in months!)

The next morning I got ready and went over with everyone to la mairie ( the mayor’s office) where Zachary and Esther got legally married. There were a hundred or so present, but only about 30 could fit in the room, so I hung outside with most people. Then we all went to church while Zachary and Esther got changed into their other wedding clothes for the real ceremony. I stayed inside for about half of the procession, or less, but had to go outside because of the suffocating heat inside the church. I’d say a few hundred people attended, and about half had to stayed outside in the shade on plastic chairs waiting for the ceremony to finish. After it was all over the happy new couple came outside to shake everyone’s hands. A while later, after we had all eaten at the reception, Naomi, Alyssa, CJ, and Rod all left together to Korhogo and I hung around for another night in Niofoin. That night was filled with dancing (literally all night) and lots of opportunities for this “toubabou” to keep the kids entertained. It’s just so amazing to little black children who have never before seen a white person so up close…they got to learn that white people like to eat, and act silly, and do normal human type activities…just like them! So crazy right? It was fun :).

(This is my host dad, Soro Zana!)

(Panjama party with my youngest brother, Ungalo!)

(Naomi having a hard time look hard-core.)

(Leaving the Mairie, looking pretty chic)

(Ceremony begins at church)


(Zachary in expensive Baoule-king dress, basically to show that he has money)


(They were so happy to be married!)

Coming back the next day was fun, as we got roughly 25 people back in two medium sized pickup trucks, all in one trip!

(Safe passage out of Niofoin is always welcomed.)

Anyways, wedding aside…I’m sure you are all wondering about my soon-to-be arrival back in California! Well, I’m going to be arriving in Fresno around 10pm on Halloween! There is so much to say about what lessons I’ve learned here in RCI and about how that impacts the way I’m going to live my life in the States that I barely know how to begin explaining it all! But here are a few words that have acquired a much deeper and refreshed meaning for me:

Trust

Service

Sacrifice

Simplicity

Humility

Modesty

Worship

Communion

Community

Commitment

Purpose

I know that those words entail about every aspect of life imaginable…so that’s about right then! I’d be hard-pressed to think up a single aspect of my life – how I view myself, the world, God, and how they all relate to each other.

So you can expect a very different Jason when you see me next, though of course au même temps I’m the same of course. I’m going to dearly miss the friends and family God has given me here in West Africa, but also with each passing day I’m growing more eager to be with everyone I miss back in the States and to continue along the path God is leveling our before me as I walk in his lamplight.

I will try my best to get another blog or two out before I leave. In the meantime, may God bless you! Thank you so much for your prayers, and for your interest in my life! Also, please let me know how I can be praying for you!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! The wedding doesn't look all that different than ours... white dress, decorations at the church, etc. I was expecting it to be WAY different. I'm glad you're having such an amazing time and I can't wait to hear about it! We all talk about you often and are excited to see you again. =) Enjoy your last few weeks there and I'll pray that your mind stays present, right where God has you for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful food! The married couple look so happy!

    I am so excited to see you!(soon I hope!).
    I love the picture with your host dad.
    Blessings for your last days there my friend :)
    I'm still praying for you and for the people.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments!