Monday, January 24, 2011

Last Day In Bouaké

Well, I’m packing my things today, because tomorrow I’m moving to Korhogo for my 9 month homestay! I am really excited, really nervous, and trusting the Lord to guide me and shepard me.

I have noticed an increase in spiritual warfare as this time of transition has drawn closer, but God is good and I know that I must cling to Him. I have gotten back into the habit of memorizing scripture recently, which has been an invaluable help to my soul. I’ve set the goal of memorizing the book of Romans, of which I have chapters 1 and 12 memorized now, with Chapter 2 up next. The first chapter is a hard one to swallow, as it is filled with sobering words of judgement starting at verse 18. It reminds me to pray for those who have yet to put their faith in Christ. I am longing to call people “to the obedience that comes through faith” here where I am at.

God has been using this crisis in Cote d’Ivoire to remind me of the spiritual battle waging on all around me. That is the real war which we ought to be concerned about. Jesus said in Matthew 24: “You will hear of wars and rumor of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed….Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom…All these are the beginnings of birth pains.” This is a reminder to me that I need not be alarmed, because it is no surprise at all what is going on here in this country. Also, things will surely be resolved sooner than later, which is even more reason not to worry. The more pressing matter is the battle “against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Am I equipping myself with the armor of God each day? Am I remembering the time I need with my Savior each day, or am I too ‘busy’ for these things? Satan knows how God speaks, in the quiet, relentless way that He does. Satan would be delighted to keep me busy, distracted, surrounded by noise – music, learning French, listening to sermonsm, etc – all good things in and of themselves, if only to keep me from silence.

As I move forward along the path on which God has placed me and on which he walks ahead as a “lamp to my feet and light to my path”, I would ask a few things of you who read this:

Please pray for these things –

My walk with God to continue to grow, my transition to Korhogo, life with a family whose language and culture are still difficult for me to understand, my learning of French, my relationships with people at the Koko church, and for the rest of the Journeyers as well. Also pray for Cote d’Ivoire, for the people who know Jesus and those who do not, and for the Spirit of God to move in the hearts of those he has chosen here.

“Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” – 1 Thes. 5:16-18

2 comments:

  1. I will pray for you diet! It sounds like God already has been changing you a lot. I am excited for you to be doing this and living with a different family. Something you have been training for and working so hard to go and do. I pray for your safety and for God to use you in ways that you previously did not know exist. Keep the faith! Love y man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me when you wrote about the busy, even though the good things take our time God wants us to do what He wants for our best.

    So we may choose to do the good things but only the Spirit of Christ living in us can tell us what is the BEST thing.

    thanks for bringing that out Jason.

    I will pray for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments!