Monday, January 10, 2011

What my brain has experienced lately....



Blog 1/10/11

Wow! This month is already blazing by already! Praise God for his goodness and new mercies in this new year!

God has been teaching me a lot lately. I’m going through a theology course on how to study the bible which is opening my eyes to reading the bible in completely new ways. I’m also working on memorizing several chapters that I love. I have a goal this year to memorize Romans. Also I finished Mere Christianity (finally), which challenged my thinking a lot. My heart has been receiving a lot of healing, and my head a lot of new ways ot thinking. Good stuff!

Here’s an update on life here….

This morning I went into town by myself for the first time! Well, other than the one time I rode a bike into town to meet Sefiou. It was a lot of fun, though a bit out of my comfort zone…I hung out with some vendors in the panya

market, walked around town to familarize myself a bit better, and took a moto taxi back to campus. Probably other than having an entire 1 hour conversation (plus or minus) in [broken] french….the most interesting part was probably when a group of 10 or 15 guys crowded around me trying to steer me to their bus that was going to Abidjan. They were all saying, “Aller à Abidjan, aller à Abidjan.” HAHA, I’d say Abidjan definitely is the last place I want to be at right now. If you don’t remember why, just look at the pic I posted above from Abidjan. Don't worry, it's not like that here.



Over Christimas break, I went with Rod, Devin, Chazz, and the Grudda family to a town an hour east of Korhogo called Komboro Koro. It was a village way off the beaten path, mud huts and all….definitely a new experience for me! We built a roof for a new Baptist church that was being constructed. It was a lot of work, and really rewarding!

Oh, and before I went there, I spent a night in Korhogo with Meleé (a Christian radio DJ there) at the radio station. That was an interesting experience too.

In 2 weeks I am going back up to Korhogo to have my 9 month homestay with an Ivorian family. I have been placed with a family from the Koko church, the biggest church in Korhogo (that I know of). I think it has something like 600 members, and after talking to Rod, Bakary, and Pastor Kao, I am pretty excited about the ministry opportunities there. I’ve got to keep in mind though, that the reason I’m here is not to do ministry – I’m here to learn. Yes ministry is very important – serving nationals builds great relationships and trust with them – but I need to focus on being a learner first and foremost. It’s ALL about building relationships, and if I can’t show that I’m willing to learn from them, then relationships are going to be hard to build beyond a superficial level. It will be a great exchange on life experience, love, wisdom, perspectives on life and God, etc…I’m stoked!

French wise, I’m still pretty shaky, but I feel that I have received all the tools here at École Baptist that I will need to be an effective French learner during my homestay. And that’s what the goal here was French-wise – to equip us with all the basics, so that we can master them later when we are in enviornments that are predominantly French speaking. One thing that was encouraging today: I had a conversation with a worker at Ecomax about language. He said that he was from Nigeria (hence English was also his first language) and that when he moved here he lived with a family and learned French in 5 months. That’s exciting to hear! The kind of experience I’m getting here, you just can’t buy in schools. In a matter of months I can learn french as well as someone who goes through years of courses. I get to learn it through speaking, not just on paper, an advantage you’d be hard pressed to find in most parts of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear from you diet! We had guys group last night and were talking about how much we all miss you. Keep up the good work and stay safe!

    Mark Doswald

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments!