Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Termites, meet you maker!



Wow it’s that time of day already, right now I can hear the muslims call to prayer being shouted over a loudspeaker from a couple miles away.
Things are going well here lately. This last week has been a lot of work on French homework. Tomorrow I present a 30 minute lesson to the class on how to share the gospel in French. Recently, we had a fun night out at Rod and Angelika’s house, eating dessert with the French again. This time it was not to practice our French on them though, they came to practice their English on us! There are several new guys who have been brought here to replace some of the soldiers who had been here 6 months already. One of them told me that he went to a local wifi hotspot and got his iphone 4 working, which I find awesome – because that means maybe I can get my iphone working too! The dinky MTN phone I have is really flimsy.
I’m almost done reading “Mere Christianity” by CS Lewis right now, this book has been really good for me. I love books that make you think about things in a new way. This morning for bible study we went through John chapter 9. Rod had us read Isaiah 29 and 42 out loud first though, I recommend trying this. It was really cool to see how interconnected these three chapters of the bible are.
Life is going along pretty normally (if I can call anything normal anymore) here. Today Holly, Devin, and myself all destroyed a giant termite mound with pick-axes and shovels. The staff are going to build an outdoor stove with the clay that the termites use, which is almost as hard as rock. We are almost done painting the second coat in the basement, and soon will be restoring the furniture. The other night I set up the drum kit in the chapel, and so that has been fun to play. Also, the Grettas are here with 3 of their sons (who are a bit younger than me). I’m glad they are here (they are great soccer players). The parents both worked here, Bill was the PE teacher and his wife was a Biology teacher. All four of their sons were students at ICA, and to this day they come back often on short term trips. They rent out one of the buildings on camps, which they have restored to it’s former glory it seems. They are going to be building a roof on a church up in Fairke after Christmas, and I have half a mind to go with them to help.
For Christmas break, most of us are going up north to Korogo to visit various ministries and do some recreation, while a couple others go to Fairke to help with the church. I’m torn on what to do, because there is one ministry I really want to visit….maybe I can just do a day visit to the church to help. I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

The political situation continues to be ever evolving. I won’t go into details, you can find those elsewhere. I like reading the BBC’s articles, though they sometimes exaggerate certain details in my opinion. My whole take on it, is that democracy is going to be impossible in most African countries as long as you have greedy, power hungry, tyrannical leaders like Gbagbo who won’t give up their office after they legitimately lose. It’s the same story in most African nations that hold democratic elections. There are only a few exceptions, such as South Africa for example. I think that until Africa sees the Nelson Mandella’s winning and striving for peace, and the Laurent Gbagbo’s being thrown in jail for their violent crimes – I think Africa is going to be in a sticky situation until then.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my verbose blogs! I’m glad to know that some of you are still following my life. Please send me an email sometime or leave a comment, and tell me how I can pray for you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear things are ever interesting :). I will try out those verses you recommended.

    Things here are going fine, not very pleasant though...mostly with strife...no one seems happy to serve in our house....and sometimes I feel I do all the work. But I will trust God that He is working in each person and most hopefully in myself for I am far from being good myself.

    Please pray for my sister. She has another girlfriend and is rarely home. I don't feel like we connect well these days.

    these are some things on my mind


    Merry Christmas Jason!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me comments!