Sunday, December 5, 2010

We have 2 presidents, eat your heart out USA! :P

Well, it's December 5th. Sorry it's been so long since my last post, things have made it difficult for me to find time for blogging. I realize there are no pics on this blog yet...I will post those soon. (I have a few in mind)

A lot has happened since my last blog. The big news (which you may have seen in your local newpaper even) here is the rivalry between Gbagbo and Ouattara, the two presidents of Cote d'Ivoire. Yes that's right...I said TWO. Gbagbo is recognized by the Constitutional Council and the Ivorian military as president. Ouattara is recognized by the majority of the population, the UN, the US, France, the EU, and most of the world. The Ivorian military said they would side with the Council, and the Council is made up of mainly Gbabgo supporters and is abusing their authority by declaring several large Ouattara districts void (so that Gbagbo could win). So if you didn't catch that, the military is with Gbagbo. The prime minister that supported Gbabgo has switched sides to Ouattara. It's a big jumbled mess I agree, so please pray for the situation to be resolved peacefully without another civil war.

Moving on too...THANKSGIVING! Oh man, it was great here - and they don't even celebrate thanksgiving in Cote d'Ivoire! We did though! There were 15 or so missionaries from up North here for the annual baptist missions conference held here at ICA. We discussed a lot of issues concerning that, and we had a lot of good time talking about opportunities for when I leave here to live in villages, but I digress. There were 40 of us total at dinner on Thanksgiving, all enjoying a delightfully huge meal of yummy awesome scrumptiousness. We set up the tables on the basketball court outside, and had candles on the table to give light. No joke, it was probably the best thankgiving meal ever in my life. Especially dessert, it was soooo good. Our local german friend, Kati, made this amazizing german fruitcake. It was this spongy cake with these cherries on top, I know that description doesn't do it justice...just know that it was oozing with goodness.

After the conference we resumed our routine for weekends and for weekdays. We did have a SNOW DAY(!!!!) on monday. There was no actual snow, but we all just felt the need to a day of rest after a crazy busy weekend. You could call it a day of sabbath if you like. On tuesday night we invited our very own on-campus knights in shining armor (or camouflage armor, which isn't too shiny), the French military, over for desserts on the basketball court (the tables were still set up). They all speak decent English, and were good about encouraging me to talk in French with them. I really like meeting them, especially Charles, the commanding Major on campus. He and Marcel (the gun expert) are leaving in 2 days for France. They have been in the same unit for 5 years, living in Afghanistan, S. America, Cameroon, Senegal, and now Cote d'Ivoire. I'm really happy that Charles will get to go home to his wife and children. Their typical stay is 4 months here, but he has been here 6 months because of the political instability. It's fun knowing them now, and waving to them as they drive by to their portion of campus.
Side note: if we ever have to evacuate, I really hope I get to ride in the helicopter.

Today we visited a nearby village to see how they make pottery. It was very interesting, and it was fun talking with the children, even if they were a bit rude and pushy about wanting pictures taken. I didn't realize that all african pottery is black, to signify that it's form Africa.

There has been a lot of learning and growing both in my brain and in my heart these last couple of weeks....and that's not without growing pains either. I was feeling very discouraged the last few weeks, feeling that I had nothing to offer this place. I felt some tension between myself and a couple other journeyers, and I was feeling that things were only going to get worse - that I'd never learn French, that I'd never build deep relationships here, and that I wouldn't accomplish anything. Thank God for showing me that these lies were all planted in my heart by Satan. I have been having doing very well the last several days. I had a really good talk in small group, just sort of confessing how I was feeling. God has been encouraging me a lot since then, clearing up the tension with my friends (which turned out to be just miscommunication), and I feel a lot closer to mes amis here now. I am excited for learning French, and for the opportunities that lay ahead of me here in Cote d'Ivoire. This is such a beautiful land, with such beautiful people created in God's image, whom he gave his life for. I'm so glad to be here, even at such a bad time politically. I wouldn't change my life in any way because I know I am walking in the path God is laying out for me, and that's exactly where I want to be always.

In January I might get to go up north to Ferké to work in the recording studio, live with an Ivorian family, and get my feet wet in ethnomusicology. I'm super excited for this possibility.

If you have any questions, please leave comments or email me at jasondietmeyer@gmail.com

J'aime tout de vous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me comments!